MANILA, Feb 8 (Mabuhay) –There is still no information on the promulgation of the decision on the disqualification cases filed against presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., an official from the Commission on Elections said Monday.
“Wala pa rin po at kami rin po ay naghihintay pa kung kailan din po ilalabas iyon,” Comelec Director III of the Education and Information Department Atty. Ellaiza Sabile-David said during the Laging Handa public briefing.
Recently, retired Comelec Commissioner Rowena Guanzon and Commissioner Aimee Ferolino bickered over the disqualification cases against Marcos.
Guanzon had accused Ferolino, the ponente of the decision, of delaying the release of the resolution on the case to block her vote for the disqualification of Marcos.
She claimed that the reason behind the delay were efforts to influence Ferolino.
Guanzon, the former presiding officer of the Comelec First Division, which handles the disqualification against Marcos, earlier said the decision was supposed to come out on January 17.
However, the promulgation was delayed after COVID-19 hit a staff member of the Comelec First Division.
Ferolino has since denied that there is a of delay in the resolution of the disqualification cases against Marcos.
Before her retirement, Guanzon already released her separate opinion where she voted for Marcos’ disqualification as she believes that the non-filing of income tax returns for four consecutive years constitutes moral turpitude.
Under Section 12 of the Omnibus Election Code (OEC), “Any person who has been declared by competent authority insane or incompetent, or has been sentenced by final judgment for subversion, insurrection, rebellion or for any offense for which he has been sentenced to a penalty of more than eighteen months or for a crime involving moral turpitude, shall be disqualified to be a candidate and to hold any office, unless he has been given plenary pardon or granted amnesty.”
“This disqualifications to be a candidate herein provided shall be deemed removed upon the declaration by competent authority that said insanity or incompetence had been removed or after the expiration of a period of five years from his service of sentence, unless within the same period he again becomes disqualified,” Section 12 of OEC further states. — RSJ, GMA News