MANILA, Jan 20 (Mabuhay)– Department of Education Undersecretary Diosdado San Antonio said Wednesday students managed to achieve the expected performance in distance learning during the first quarter of the academic year.
In a roundtable discussion, San Antonio belied reports that some students in modular learning were failing to submit school requirements, citing data from DepEd’s regional directors.
“There are also people saying there are also learners not being able to submit the requirements. But when we requested the regional directors to make a report, the data that have been submitted to us generally indicate the learners are able to carry out the activities expected of them for the first quarter,” San Antonio said.
In December, the Teacher’s Dignity Coalition (TDC) said student participation in online and modular classes had been dwindling.
TDC national chairperson Benjo Basas made the statement based on reports of their members from different areas of the country.
“Nakikita po natin ‘yan na mukhang hindi siya nangangalahati, ‘yung participation dito sa online,” Basas said.
“Doon naman sa modular ay nakikita po natin na nagpapasa ang bata na kulang ang sagot or minsan totally walang sagot,” he added.
Last week, the Philippine Business for Education (PBEd) called on the government, business, academe, and civil society to help address the “learning crisis” in the country.
“There’s no sugarcoating this, because we need to take a long hard look at ourselves before we can move forward, that the Philippine education sector is in crisis. The development of our nation is at stake,” he said.
“This learning crisis threatens the growth trajectory of our nation,” he added. (MNS)