MANILA (Mabuhay) – Thailand’s Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha gave assurance on Friday that the situation in Bangkok is already “under control” following the bombing attack there earlier this month that left at least 20 people killed and more than a hundred others, including a Filipino, injured.
During his official visit to the Philippines, Prayut told President Benigno Aquino III that Thai authorities are pursuing the individuals behind the bombing.
“The situation is now under control by authorities, and necessary measures have been taken to assist victims affected by the situation,” the Thai leader said during a joint statement with Aquino in Malacañang on Friday afternoon.
“Security officials are investigating and searching the perpetrators to bring them to justice,” he added.
Prayut also expressed sympathy for the Filipino who was wounded in the blast.
Aquino, for his part, extended condolences to the people of Thailand for the tragedy.
“As always, we Filipinos will stand with our brothers, the Thai people,” the Philippine leader said.
At least 20 people have been confirmed dead by Thai police officials after a blast that hit Erawan shrine, a popular tourist destination located at one of Bangkok’s major intersections, last August 17.
The Philippines’ Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) earlier confirmed that a Filipino sustained injury to her hearing due to the explosion. The agency has also raised Alert Level 1 in Thailand, advising Filipinos in the country to “take necessary precautions.”
Thai authorities are still hunting down a suspect in the bombing, spotted through security cameras, and his accomplices.(MNS)