MANILA (Mabuhay) — The camp of Vice President Jejomar Binay on Wednesday hit back at Senator Antonio Trillanes IV for saying that he will bare next week yet another multi-billion peso dummy-related scam involving the second highest elected official in the country.
“Nakalulungkot na hanggang ngayon, pagsisinungaling at paninira kay Vice President Binay pati na sa iba’t ibang personalidad at institusyon ang ginagawa ni Sen. Trillanes para mapansin sa media,” lawyer Rico Quicho, Binay’s spokesperson for political affairs, said in a statement.
On Tuesday, Trillanes said there would be another Senate blue ribbon subcommittee inquiry on the new allegations, on top of the string of other corruption claims earlier probed by the Senate panel chaired by Sen. Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III for the past year.
While refusing to elaborate, Trillanes said the “new” controversy involved billions of pesos. “Next week, ipapakita natin kung gaano ka-kurakot si VP Binay… billions of peso na mga pera na ninakaw at tinago through dummies.”
But Quicho countered that Trillanes has so far failed to show enough evidence to link the Vice President to the corruption allegations against him.
“Sa mahigit na isang taong imbestigasyon, puro salita lamang si Sen. Trillanes at wala naman maipakitang ebidensiya na susuporta sa kaniyang mga bintang,” Quicho said.
Quicho said Trillanes’ motive behind his “style of discrediting other individuals” is to help his vice-presidential bid in next year’s elections.
The Binay spokesperson again challenged Trillanes to explain the budget spent for his consultants.
“Sa huli, dapat managot si Sen. Trillanes sa maling paggamit ng kaniyang PDAF, DAP at gastos sa napakaraming consultants na binabayaran ng buwis ng taumbayan,” he said.
To date, Binay, his son, suspended Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay and other Makati officials are facing four plunder and graft complaints before the Office of the Ombudsman in connection with the corruption allegations against them.(MNS)